Department of Economics and Social Sciences (WiSo)
Who we are
The department accommodates all economic, social, political and legal research and teaching activities at BOKU. We are a unique academic organisation in this field in Austria and internationally.
We synthesize economic, ecological, sociological and ethical aspects. Innovation, inter- and transdisciplinarity as well as internationality define our department culture.
The fields of research and teaching are:
- Economics, policy and law of the agricultural, energy, food and forest sector,
- Sustainable development and societal transformation,
- Management of biological resources and environmental policy and history,
- Management strategies of biogenic value added chains,
- Governance, rural development and agricultural sociology,
- Optimisation and evaluation of managerial and economic processes in agriculture, forestry and the timber industry as well as in the environmental and food sector.
- Social ecology and societal metabolism.